Liban and Steve Cohen - Hot Air
When I first moved to the Milwaukee area, I was desperate
to hear some good blues. When my fiancé first
took me to see Jim Liban and his blues band I was
completely blown away. Jim has been around for over
three decades playing blues and blowing harp. In addition
to the harmonica, Jim can play a mean guitar. I haven't
had the opportunity to see Steve yet but have heard
great things about him from the area. I still wish
there was more of a dedicated blues scene in this
area, but for now Jim is holding me over!
Jim and Steve play harmonica duos on Parchman Farm,
Done All My Singing, Walkin Blues, and Rocket 88.
Steve plays guitar where heard except Louise, which
has guitar by Jim and harp by Steve. All other harmonica
is by Jim. Steve sings where heard except Big Boss
Man which is sung by Jim. Personally, I like Jims
vocals better than Steve's but maybe that is because
I have seen Jim perform numerous time and haven't
seen Steve yet. I will say that I do definitely dig
Steve's harp playing though!
1. Parchman Farm-diggin' this harp tune w/ powerful
2. Ain't That Lovin You-I love Jimmy Reed and his
3. Rocket 88-upbeat bluesy tune
4. My Babe-mellow take on this one
5. Big Boss Man-see above and love Jim's vocals
6. Louise-slow blues about a woman
7. Walkin Blues-great harp & Robert Johnson classic
8. Roadmap-pretty instrumental
9. Done All My Singing-gospel like blues
10. Louisiana Blues- delta enriched
Learn more about Jim
on the web and if you're in the Milwaukee area call
me up so we can go see Jim; he's terrific!
I give this a 3.85 of 5 on the STLBluesometer.